Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Global Warming? That is Sooooooooooo 2006

     Sigh... yet another writer who claims there is a catastrophic environmental issue that mankind is to blame for. Before getting into the meat of the article, I'd like to point out that Schulman is a script writer and an Internet Web site designer, not a scientist. She is someone who writes for magazines, not scholarly scientific journals. Schulman claims that "earth is within two degrees of its warmest levels in one million years". Upon further research into the archives of The National Academy of Sciences, I found that the warmest levels in Earth's recent history were between 900 AD and 1300 AD. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but it's to my understanding that Vikings did not drive around in gas guzzling Hummers in Greenland back then. This is my problem with journalists. They report on what they think is relevant in a format that will be the most enticing to readers instead of doing in depth empirical reporting. It is not exciting to say that Earth is going through regulatory climate changes as it has throughout its entire existence, but if you say "GLOBAL WARMING IS A CATASTROPHE THAT WILL DESTROY LIFE AS WE KNOW IT", people will probably stay tuned to listen. A funny little tidbit of information is that in the time between the 1950s and the 1970s, the media reportedly largely about an impending Ice Age. I could go on and on about actual facts that debunk Schulman's little essay but I will not continue. I'd just like to point out that all this essay consists of is a cute little analogy comparing mother earth's climate to a feverish child, but, while the writing element is appreciated and delivered in a form easy to understand, the idea that the author tries to convey is steeped in nothing more than popular media subjects so that it can be relevant enough to be published in some magazine and for that reason I cannot say I respect this author's message.

No comments:

Post a Comment